Hello DWK families,
We’ve had a great first two weeks of dance! We hope your dancer is settling into the routine and enjoying their classes. Here are a few items to review and news to be aware of as the dance year continues.
Important Dates and Studio Closures
You can check the studio calendar, including holidays and closures, anytime at the Class Schedule page. Here are a few upcoming dates to be aware of:
- Friday, September 28 – School PD Day – Dance Classes Run As Usual
- Friday, October 5 – October Payments Due
- Monday, October 8 – No Classes – Thanksgiving Monday
- Monday, October 29 to Sunday, November 4 – No Classes – Fall Break Week
An important part of dance class is being prepared for class, both mentally and physically. Please help your dancer to arrive on time, with the proper clothing, footwear, and hair for their class. Remember, you can always check danceworkskenora.com/dress-code if you are unsure on class requirements. As we are now 2 weeks into the year the expectation is that all dancers have had time to find appropriate attire. If you are still missing some of your dancewear please let Ms. Erin know.
Ballet buns are required for all Dance Foundations and Ballet classes. This is an important step and showing up to class without proper hair is the same as showing up without shoes, tights, or your bodysuit. Need a lesson on how to do a proper ballet bun, please watch this Bun Making Tutorial video.
Hip Hop dancers, outdoor shoes are not permitted in the studio! Please be respectful of the studio space and bring indoor shoes to your class.
Also, don’t forget your water bottle! Even the youngest dancers should have a water bottle as the break for water in these classes can be disruptive to the class if they don’t have water with them in the studio.
Younger dancers may need to be reminded that while dance is fun it is also a structured activity and they are expected to listen and do their best in class. We work on class etiquette within class but also have our studio rules and etiquette posted at various places within the studio. If you’d like to review it with your dancer at home you can view it here: DWK Studio Rules & Etiquette
We know the entry way can get crowded at class change times, please do your best not to disrupt the current class when you are entering or exiting.
Monthly payments are due by the 5th of each month. If you are signed up to pay by credit card your payment will be processed automatically. A reminder that late or NSF payments will result in additional fees.
You can log in to the customer portal at any time to update your payment method, make an advanced payment or double check your account balance. If you have applied to Triple Play please know that the process can take some time. Their funding maximum is typically $300/year so you can start to make payments towards your remaining fees at any time. If you have applied through Triple Play please let us know at email@example.com
Registration Is Still Open
Do you know someone that might be interested in dance? Many classes still have a few spots left and we do accept late registrations through the links on the DanceWorks Kenora Registration page. (Classes that are full will show as a waitlist registration.)
Adults, you can dance and move with us too! Don’t forget that the multi-class discounts apply on a family basis which means that you can try an adult ballet, jazz, tap or pilates class at a reduced rate. The Fall 1 mini-session has already started but you can still join us or register for a spot in the Fall 2 mini-session which starts on November 5th.
Upcoming Dance Events
For dancers looking for additional training opportunities there are a number of dance conventions coming up in Winnipeg. The DWK Junior & Senior Performance Ensemble will be attending the Triple Threat Convention and any other DWK dancers that would like to attend are encouraged to register as well.
- Art n’ Soul Dance Winnipeg – October 27 & 28, 2018 – www.artnsouldance.com
- Triple Threat Winnipeg – November 3 & 4, 2018 – www.triplethreatdance.com
- iDance Winnipeg – November 17 & 18, 2018 – www.idanceconvention.com
- MOVE Dance Winnipeg – November 24 & 25, 2018 – www.movedanceconv.com
As well, here are some upcoming dance performances that may be of interest:
- World Ballet Day – October 2, 2018
- Behind the scenes footage of ballet companies in class and rehearsal. Streaming online at worldballetday.com
- RWB Professional Division Concert Hour Ballet
- Public performance in Kenora on November 21, 2018 – 7pm at Seven Generations rwb.org/school/professional-division/events/concert-hour-ballet
- Concert Hour Ballet will also be doing shows for students at both TA and Beaver Brae during the day.
- Royal Winnipeg Ballet’s The Handmaid’s Tale – October 10 to 14, 2018 in Winnipeg
Contact & Information
If you have questions please contact Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org or by texting or calling 807-464-3666. Please note that emails or text messages are Ms. Erin’s preferred methods of contact as they are easier to respond to quickly in between classes or after classes in the evening.
The answers to most questions can be found either on our website, in the portal or on one of our social media pages. Stay up to date and informed at the following links:
- Website – danceworkskenora.com
- Portal Access – DWK Portal Login
- Facebook – DanceWorks Kenora
- Instagram – @danceworkskenora
- Twitter – @DWKenora
- Facebook Group – DWK Buy & Sell
- Facebook Group – DWK Dance Families
See you at the studio!