Hello DWK dance families,
It’s hard to believe we’re already starting week 4 of classes. Please review the following studio information for reminders on studio etiquette, upcoming holidays and closures, and other studio information. Late registrations are still being accepted for classes with openings.
Important Dates and Studio Closures
You can check the studio calendar, including holidays and closures, anytime at the Class Schedule page. Here are a few upcoming dates to be aware of:
- Monday, October 10 – No Classes – Thanksgiving Monday
- Wednesday, October 12 – No Primary or Junior Hip Hop Classes (make-up class for Nov 2 as listed below)
- Friday, October 28 to Saturday, November 5 – No Classes this week (except for Wednesday Pilates, Primary Hip Hop, and Junior Hip Hop)
October Payments Due
A reminder for those paying monthly that October payments are due on October 5th. If you are setup for credit card payments your payment will be processed automatically on the 5th. If you are paying by cheque and have not yet provided post-dated cheques please do so as soon as possible. You can review your tuition fees and payment due dates anytime through the DanceWorks Kenora portal.
An important part of dance class is being prepared for class, both mentally and physically. Please help your dancer to arrive on time, with the proper clothing, footwear, and hair for their class. Remember, you can always check the FAQ on danceworkskenora.com if you are unsure on class requirements. Also, don’t forget your water bottle! Even the youngest dancers should have a water bottle as the break for water in these classes can be disruptive to the class if they don’t have water with them in the studio.
Younger dancers may need to be reminded that while dance is fun it is also a structured activity and they are expected to listen and do their best in class. We work on class etiquette within class but for those parents who are newer to dance, this is an great article outlining the expectations for dance class etiquette.
We know the entry way can get crowded at class change times, please do your best not to disrupt the current class when you are entering or exiting.
Missed a class?
Make up missed classes in another level or give a different style a try. Make-up classes do not need to be scheduled in advance, simply let the teacher know when you arrive that you are doing a make-up class. Progress in dance class is due in large part to consistent training, attendance is important and we strongly encourage dancers to complete make-up classes. You can even make-up classes in advance if you know you’re going to be away, just let your regular teacher know the date you’ll be missing.
Fall 2 Mini-Session
Registration is open for Fall 2 mini-sessions which include Pilates on Wednesday 6:00-7:00pm (6 weeks; Oct 19-Nov 23), Parent & Tot (6 weeks, Nov 8-Dec 17) on Tuesday 11:30am or Saturday 9:15am, or Adult Lyrical at Lunch on Tuesday 12:10-12:55pm (6 weeks; Nov 8-Dec 13). You can register for these classes through the portal or new registrations through the web registration form, links are posted at danceworkskenora.com/registration/
Dance Events of Interest
- It’s World Ballet Day on October 4! This includes 20 hours of streaming behind-the-scenes footage from 5 major worldwide ballet companies. This event starts with The Australian Ballet which means that streaming starts tonight at 9pm, find more information at worldballetday.com
- We are lucky to have the Royal Winnipeg Ballet nearby, their first ballet of the season will be Dracula running Oct 26 to 30. You can read more about their season and buy tickets for this and all other performances on their site at rwb.org
- There are also a couple of dance conventions/workshops coming up in Winnipeg. These are great opportunities for dancers to learn from different teachers and explore new styles. View Dance Convention is happening in Winnipeg on Saturday, October 22.The Triple Treat Dance Convention is on Saturday, November 12 & Sunday, November 13.
See you at the studio!