We hope everyone enjoyed their Fall Break Week and had a good Halloween. We are now back into the swing of things at the studio. As we move from Fall into Winter please keep the following studio news and updates in mind.
Proper Dance Attire is a Requirement
A reminder that an important part of dance class is coming to class prepared with the proper attire, hair, shoes, and a water bottle. You do not play hockey without your equipment and your skates or show up to soccer without your shoes, shin pads, and uniform. The proper attire for dance is just as important and while Ms. Erin gives families a break at the start of the dance year to allow time to order online or make a trip to Winnipeg it is expected that by November all dancers are coming to class with the appropriate clothing, shoes, and hair. Please double check the dress code requirements for each class under the FAQ on danceworkskenora.com (these are guidelines only for Adult classes but are requirements for all child and teen classes).
Parent Viewing Week – December 9 to 14
You are invited to attend your dancer’s class(es) for the week of Monday, December 9th to Saturday, December 14th to see what the class has been working on so far this year. Parents and well-behaved siblings are invited to observe class to see what the dancers have been learning. Please be mindful of our limited studio space and keep the number of observers per dancer reasonable (our spring performances are the time to invite extended family and friends). Also, if you are attending an early evening class please be sure to park in a way that does not block access for any of our neighbouring businesses.
Tuition and Payments
Don’t forget that monthly payments are due on the 5th of each month. Accounts that are behind in their payments will be receiving reminder statements to the email address on file. You can check your payments and fees at any time through the DanceWorks Kenora portal.
Attendance is Important
An important part of dance training is regular attendance at class. Did you know that you can view your dancer’s attendance through your portal account? Makeup classes are encouraged for dancers that have missed classes – particularly for those in the Primary, Junior, and Senior levels. If you are unsure what class would be a good fit for your dancer as a makeup class please check with their teacher. Dancers that have missed more than 3 classes during the Fall session will be receiving an email with details on attendance requirements in order to be included in the spring performances for their class.
Registration is open for Winter Session
Most youth classes run as full year classes but for the youngest dancers and the adults you can now register for Winter classes. These include Parent & Tot, Creative Movement, as well as Adult and Gentle classes. View the details on each class online at danceworkskenora.com or register through your portal account.
Important Spring Dates
Please be sure to mark these dates on your calendar. In the new year classes will begin to work on their routines for our spring performances. The skills and techniques they have worked on in class will be used in the creation of a group routine. The planning for these performances begins now for the teachers – please notify the studio ASAP if your dancer will not be available for one or both of these performances.
- Sunday, March 8th, 2020 – Picture Day
- Picture Day at the studio will run from approximately 10:00am to 4:00pm. Dancers should plan to be at the studio for approximately 1 hour to have their class and/or individual pictures taken.
- Please let Erin know if there is a time of the day that does not work for your dancer – if this is known in advance it can sometimes be worked into the schedule. Once the schedule is set it will not be changed for conflicts.
- Saturday, April 4th OR April 18, 2020 – Kenora Festival of the Arts (Date TBD)
- All Dance Foundations, Primary, Junior, and Senior level classes are entered in the Kenora District Festival of the Arts adjudicated dance performances.
- This is a chance to perform and receive feedback from the adjudicator as well as a chance to watch other dancers and classes perform.
- Friday, May 8 & Saturday, May 9 – DanceWorks Kenora Year-End Recital
- Our year-end performances will take place on Saturday, May 9th and will include a matinee and evening show for all dancers.
- Dress Rehearsal will take place on the evening of Friday, May 8th (younger dancers will rehearse earlier so they are not up too late for 2 nights in a row).
- All dancers in Creative Movement, Creative Movement & Tap, Dance Foundations, and the Primary, Junior, and Senior levels will be performing.